Second Harvest along with local volunteers, will participate in a garden build on March 2nd.
This garden build is part of SHNF's community garden inniative. As part of this program SHNF partners with Friends of Northeast Florida Community Gardens, Habitat for Humanity of Jacksonville (HabiJax) and Beaches Habitat for Humanity (Beaches Habitat), to introduce Community Food Garden projects on donated parcels in food insecure neighborhoods.
Doing so helps empower families in hunger to grow vegetables and fruit in quantities sufficient to supplement every meal. This project will assist food insecure neighborhoods in the planning, development, cultivation and harvest of community food gardens, turning a donated parcel into a productive and sustainable neighborhood garden.
This opportunity is open to the public. If you're interested in being a part of it please register or sign-up to volunteer at wenourishhope.org/volunteer.
Date: March 2nd
Location: 1232 Pearce Street
What to expect
- Typical garden work (i.e watering, weeding, planting crops etc.)
- Building plant beds and garden sheds
- Installing irrigation lines
- Requires no previous gardening experience
- family friendly
- All volunteers are asked to wear closed toe shoes
- We will have snacks and drinks for volunteers, but please bring extra food and drink as needed as well as wearing work clothes and sun protection. If you have hand tools and gloves please bring them, as we will have a limited number on hand.
For more information on gardening and SHNF's community garden innative: